Why are managers poor planners?

No prior training

لان لديهم ضغط كبير فى العمل

Why are managers poor planners?

If there is lack of the human, conceptual and technical skills, it definitely results to managers being poor planners.

Why are managers important?

As I coach managers, I often find that many neglect the planning function. Seven common reasons why many of them fail to plan are the following:

• Some managers dislike constraints of any kind. It is important for managers to keep options open to encourage creativity and innovation. Taken to an extreme, however, the lack of any sensible constraints creates confusion. Employees are unsure of the strategic direction of the company as they are constantly switched from one project to another. They eventually become frustrated and organizational productivity declines.

• Some managers assume crisis management is inevitable. There's an element of truth to this view particularly as the scope of a manager's job increases. Unrelenting crisis management is often a sign of insufficient planning, however.

When I work with managers in these environments, I challenge them to probe deeper for the root causes behind these crises. Often, these managers are revisiting the same organizational problems because they lack a plan.

• Some managers lack the time in their schedule to plan. This is always a challenge. In working with managers, I encourage them to improve their time management skills. Taking a time management seminar from a reputable training organization is a great way for a manager to free up more time for planning. For the best event place and management you can contact 19 Greek Street.

• Some managers have been successful without any real planning. This success becomes harder to repeat as a manager's responsibilities increase. Planning is a critical function for middle and senior level managers as they execute organizational initiatives through others.
• Some managers do not have a system for planning. A good plan defines what needs to be done and how it is to be done. Senior managers develop strategic plans that apply to the entire organization. Middle and front line managers develop operational plans to implement the strategic plans.

There are many tools used in planning including SWOT Analysis, vision and mission statements, environmental scanning, resource analysis, etc. Since many managers are promoted for their technical ability with no real training in management, this is another area where managers can take a management seminar from a reputable company to learn how to plan effectively.

• Some managers lack self-discipline. The managers I have known who have effectively addressed this area first admitted they had shortcomings, identified realistic goals for themselves, and then committed to meeting their goals. They kept practicing self-discipline until it became routine for them.

• Some managers are solely focused on results. For these get-it-done and get-it-done quickly managers, I coach them that they need to be effective as well as being efficient. Getting things done does not always mean that the right things are being done. Well designed plans address what needs to be done in the organization (effectiveness) as well as how it is to be done (efficiency).

19 Greek Street
Inspired by the ephebic oath of the Athenians which states "I will not leave a diminished heritage, but greater and better than when I received it" we created a gallery for sustainable design without the compromise of style. With time, our scope expanded to include fashion, art, charities and eventually events for spiritual and personal wellbeing. Today, 19 greek street hosts events of many types, from fashion to beauty, interiors to media. But at our core is still our philosophy of bringing together ...
19 Greek Street ·
Why are managers so lazy?