What would these laws mean?

I copied these laws from the Nevada government. Does this mean I can work at age 14? I’m confused because it says nobody under 14 but then it says stuff about being 16. Help!

NRS 609.240 Maximum hours of employment of child under 16 years of age.

  1.  No child under the age of 16 years may be employed, permitted or suffered to work at any gainful occupation, other than domestic service, employment as a performer in the production of a motion picture or work on a farm, more than 48 hours in any 1 week, or more than 8 hours in any 1 day.

  2.  The presence of a child in any establishment during working hours is prima facie evidence of employment of the child therein.

  [8:232:1913; 1919 RL p. 2649; NCL § 1054]—(NRS A 1973, 264; 1983, 1171)

  NRS 609.245  Employment of child under 14 years of age unlawful without written permission of district judge or his designee.  Every person who employs and every parent, guardian or other person having the care, custody or control of such child, who permits to be employed, by another, any child under the age of 14 years at any labor whatever, in or in connection with any store, shop, factory, mine or any inside employment not connected with farmwork, housework or employment as a performer in a motion picture, without the written permission for the employment signed by a judge of the district court of the county of the child’s residence, or signed by a juvenile master, referee or probation officer authorized to sign such a permit by a judge of the district court of the county of the child’s residence, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

  [1911 C&P § 559; RL § 6824; NCL § 10504]—(NRS A 1971, 256; 1973, 263; 1983, 1171)

  NRS 609.250  Employment of child under 14 years of age unlawful when school in session; exceptions.  Except for employment as a performer in a motion picture, it is unlawful for any person to employ any child under 14 years of age in any business or service during the hours in which the public schools of the school district in which the child resides are in session, unless the child has been excused from attendance by the school district or by order of the juvenile court for the purpose of employment.

  [1:232:1913; 1919 RL p. 2649; NCL § 1047]—(NRS A 1977, 1277; 1983, 1172; 1991, 2187; 2003, 1159)

  NRS 609.260  Superintendent of public instruction and attendance officer may demand proof of age of employed minor.

  1.  The superintendent of public instruction or other authorized inspector or school attendance officer shall make demand on an employer in or about whose place or establishment a child apparently under the age of 14 years is employed, or permitted or suffered to work, during the hours in which public schools of the school district are in session. The employer shall either furnish him within 10 days satisfactory evidence that such child is in fact over 14 years of age or is permitted to work at such times by the school district or court order, or he shall cease to employ or permit or suffer such child to work.

  2.  Whoever continues to employ any child in violation of any of the provisions of this section, after being notified thereof by a school attendance officer or other authorized officer, shall for every day thereafter that such employment continues be punished by a fine of not less than $5 nor more than $20.

  [4:232:1913; 1919 RL p. 2649; NCL § 1050] + [10:232:1913; 1919 RL p. 2651; NCL § 1056]—(NRS A 1977, 1277)
Answer #1

Basicly, you have to have a work permit by the state. You would have to apply with parental consent. You could then only work at certain jobs and only have certain hours and it CANNOT conflict with school. If you call your county clerk and ask to talk to someone about a work permit they can explain all the logistics that might apply for your city and county(they could be even more specific than the state).

Answer #2


means you can work, but only in “domestic service” that is babysitting, lawnmowing, car washing and the like. You can work as an actor. Or you can work on a farm. All else is illegal, but NOT FOR YOU. You don’t commit a crime when you work underage. If they catch you working at “Burger King”, it’s your boss who will be punished.

Means you can apply for any job. Worst thing that can happen to you is, they tell you to go home and try again in 2 years.

For anyone under 14 years, a special permission is needed to allow them to work AT ALL. Again the child doesn’t commit a crime. The parents commit a crime if they make their kid work for the familys money and the boss commits a crime, if they make someone under 14 work without the permission.

Yet a kid may work with the permission, IF there’s a good reason why the kid wants to do that work od why no adult can do it. The authorities will see that the kid gets appropriate schooling and that the kid still has leisure time. You woldn’t have Hollywood-films with kids in if that wasn’t possible, eh? They might allow somebody under 14 to work at their own parents farm during the holidays (which will simply move some of the familys money to the kids piggybank). They probably won’t allow a kid of unemployed parents to get a job that his mom or dad might also apply for and work after school when the kid is supposed to do homework and play.

cu the sheep

Answer #3

See your school counselor. He should have work permit forms and be equipped to let you know where or when you can work. You will not be able to work during school hours. You will be restricted in how many hours a day - and a week - you can work. Additionally you probably will not be allowed to work near or with hot items (like stoves or fryers) or sharp items (like knives or saw blades). Again your counselor may have a list of work that has been approved in the past. Good Luck!!

Answer #4

No-one under 16 can work more than 48 hours a week or 8 hours a day, except for domestic service, farm work, and movies.

But you can still work less than 48 hours a week at other jobs, as long as you have permission from a judge, a juvenile master, referee or probation officer.

But you can’t work during school hours, unless you have special permission for that from the school district or by order of a juvenile court.

More Like This
Ask an advisor one-on-one!

Law Writers

Legal Services, Lawyers, Legal Consultation


Healthcare Marketing Law

Healthcare, Marketing, Law


The Law Practice Doctor

Legal Services, Small Business, Management Consulting


International Law Association...

Legal Services, International Organizations, Professional Associations


Workplace Rights Law Group

Legal Services, Employment Law, Labor Law