Really bad sunburn/peeling on my 3 yr old

My 3 yr old son got really sunburned, he was wearing some sunscreen (not enough obviously) He had some 2nd degree burns on his shoulders, they've now begun peeling. I'm wondering what I can do to help with the peeling. I've been told using lotion is a no-no because it can trap the heat in. I've been giving him a bath with baking soda, what else?

Recent Questions Kids

Thank you, we're redheads...so turning any burn into a tan would be nice. Best not to burn at all though. Thank you!

im a mom of 3 and I've had this happen before too.id say by now to put aloe vera on that I keep in the frig.cause its nice and cool.after the aloe then I put on a lightweight tshirt.as far as the peeling,keep a unscented lotion on it.I like eucerin.good luck.

How to deal with being alone with 3 kids?

There's not much you can do to stop the peeling now, the skin is damaged and it's going to come off.
Your best best is just to try to keep him comfortable in the meantime, the peeling skin will be itchy so maybe some tepid oatmeal baths or baking soda to reduce the irritation.
By now, the actual "heat" should have dissipated, so lotion shouldn't be a problem and make sure that if he goes outside that he's well covered or wearing sunblock, his skin will be more sensitive now.

3 children all 41