My 10 year old has so much potential, but seems to be so hurry to play with his friends or to just the work over with that he hurries the notes down and when it is time to review, he himself cannot understand what he wrote. Both in school and extra lessons
You can talk to the teacher and have him/her keep him/her on tast in school, sometimes they just need someone to be pushing them or some getting used to.
Have some homework time at home, so he/she knows there is time to study and time to have fund, just so there is a difference and he/she get's used to sitting still, or sitting down and doing something for an hour, or hour and half.
Also, you can try to reward them. Tell him/her if she gets all his or her work done for a week and if the teacher gives a good report that he/she did her work and concentrated, that you will take him/her to their favorite place, or buy them something you want or something?
Meaby is the soroundings that is keeping him/her from concentrating, so meaby talk to the teacher and see if he or she can sit him/or her somewhere else other than with his or her friends.
Also make sure that you keep updated to what is going on, ask him/her how school went and everything so he or she notices that you care and that school is important.
1. make sure he's getting a good night's sleep and a healthy, low-sugar breakfast every morning.
2. Talk with him about why he isn't concentrating...bored, tired, doesn't understand things, etc.
3. Stay in touch with the teacher about what she sees in class.
4. Try to get him more engaged. If he's bored because he's really smart give him extra things to do, give him a slower peer to help out, or try to find a classroom that is more at his level. If he's not understanding things, have the teacher check with him before just assuming he knows what to do.
5. As a last resort, have him assessed for ADD or ADHD. Too many doctors want to just diagnose kids with this to put them on meds. Check to see if the symptoms do fit, and if they do, ask about non-prescription ways of treating it.
get him off electronics! go "old-skool" on his butt! tell him to play outside and then lock him out of the house!... he will hate it.. i know i did but i can focus in school and i do not have to be constantly electronically stimulated.
or make him read a book he likes every night for 45 mins before bed or until he falls asleep. may i suggest "A series of unfortunate events." i loved those books when i was 10!
electronic stimuli ruins the human attention span. so keep him away from ipods/tv while doing homework. have him sit down at the kitchen table and talk to him while you cook dinner and he does him homework, i have many more ideas fun mail me if you would like to hear more.
right! thats why i say to try out some natural alert/focus vitamins first. my cousin jimmy was on riddlin and was like a zombie walking around. totally not himself. so when he came to stay the summer with me and my fiance, we didnt make him take his meds and he was a total different person.
Have you had him tested for ADHD? I know lots of parents that resort to this but be careful, some medications make your child zombie-like. I would try some over-the-couter vitamins or natural focus vitamins.
I have tried the vitamins etc, but his personality is such that he gives up very easily, I need to do something to motivate him to o better and try harder
ADHD is used as an excuse for most children these days, i feel bad for the children who actually have it
This all sounds very good. Send me a funmail with your other suggestions
find what they REALLY like, and try to mix it in to the lessons
then i would try the persuasion.