What should i use to mark newborn puppies?

My Winn-Dixie(one in the pics) is due to have her puppies this next week. I am trying to decide the best way to mark them when born so I can tell them apart. I have read a lot on the internet and talked to several people and have a few ideas(nail polish, colored ribbon, ect..)
I was wondering if newborn pugs are small enough initially to use colored hair ties as a collar until all have been recorded and weighed? Has anyone ever done this and is it an okk idea?

you will be surprised at how well you will be able to tell them apart. They each will have something that makes them different. And ofcourse the sex. Just like mothers can easily tell the identiacl twind apart. I think you will be able to do it.

Rick-Rack looks like this...every litter of pups I've ever seen has had rick-rack collars, because it come in SO many colors.

What if a newborn puppy isn't breathing right?

I've seen ribbons used to identify puppies (darker boyish colors for boys, and light girly colors for girls), it looks very sweet.

Why does my dog keep bringing me her newborn puppies?

Use colored rick-rack (or ribbon)...you can get it at Walmart, in the sewing section...

NO rubber bands...!!!

p

How long does it take for a dog to have puppies?

nail polish, it may work its what the shelter where I work does when stray females come in pregnant, good luck but please I beg you spay your dog after her pups are weaned and she has some time to recover :0)

Why is my new born puppy breathing from its mouth

Are you sure the Mom won't lick it off. My dog mothers would have a fit with anything on their puppies. They are very protective of their puppies the first few days. I will bet your female will have none of it! She may hurt the puppies trying to get it off. I wouldn't do it. Put nothing on those pups.

I have used nail polish and it comes off and marker and the skin soaks it up.

What I do is- I take pictures and write the puppies in a notebook. Meaning-

First born - Female - Fawn with full black mask and white tipped toes. Heart shaped mark on chest. 6 oz. born 12:15am Oct 12, 2008

Your only going to have about 3 or 4 pups right. I mean for a Pug isn't 4 a big litter.

How to tell if my pitbull puppy will get big?

If cross stitch tread is as thick as yarn, then that's ok...

p

How long before puppys after water breaks ?

I cross stitch and think I am going to use different colored cross stitch thread to mark them...make little collars for each one...

When can puppies start eating soft food?

I wouldn't put rubber bands around a baby dog's neck...=/

washable marker maybe?..

Can I feel the puppies moving if my dog is pregnant?

I know people who have put a dot of food colouring on them to tell them apart for a little while (it will go away, don't worry).

Meg the dog who sits on her puppies and then kills them