What is a gerd?

Hey I really want to know what is a gerd because my dr. Say's I have that... Can I get sick???

Simply a Rose to brighten your day,
        And maybe lessen the cares in your way;
        And also, too, to help you to know,
        That in knowing you, many others grow!

Welcome to Fun Advice!

GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)
n.

A chronic condition in which the lower esophageal sphincter allows gastric acids to reflux into the esophagus, causing heartburn, acid indigestion, and possible injury to the esophageal lining.

It is a serious condition. Left untreated, it can lead to esophageal cancer.

Treatment is simple. You can get a prescription for an acid blocker (not a neutralizer like Tums but one that stops the excess production of acid) or use an over-the-counter product like Prilosec.

it stand for Gastro esophageal reflux disease. very common particularlyin our overweight/obese society. basically you have a lazy lower esophageal sphinctor that allows food to regurgitate into your esophagus causing acid build up and discomfort/pain. there are several lifestyle modifications you can make to ease the discomfort before trying any pharmacologic intervention including:
1. Lose weight if your overweight- check your bmi here www.fitday.com
2. avoid spicy food/carbonated beverages
3. avoid sleeping (or reclining) after meals, give yourself a few hours
4. avoid chocolate and caffeine (known relaxers of the LES)
5. if you smoke- QUIT!!

hope this is helpful :)

What is a gerd?

I have GERD.
Its basically Acid reflux.You may either have too much natural acid in your stomach,or not enough.
I have too much,and when I eat certain foods,I get real bad heartburn and acid hiccups.
And the next morning,I puke a lot.

Its nothing to worry about,its very common.
Just try to stay away from fried foods and sodas.
:]

How can I help my GERD condition?

I'm guessing you mean GIRD? Gastro-intestinal reflux disease...

Basically, it means you are not eating a healthy diet, and your stomach has decided to rebel by damaging your esophagus.

Acid Reflux

well
GERD-is a geek an a nerd mixed together!!!

Why isn't my 4-month-old ever satisfied?