Sale of Rental Property & Purchase of Primary Residence

As a government employee, my job required me to move to a different area of the country. I elected to convert my primary residence to rental property. I was transfered to different locations several times during my career as a government employee. At every location I rented apartments and did not purchase another residence. I am now about to retire and I would like to sell the original residence which I comverted to rental property. I want to buy a new home. Can I use the proceeds from the sale of the rental property to purchase the new home without paying the tax on capital gains?

Answer #1

I believe that you are in the clear for Federal Taxes, but not so sure about the state. Check your county law library or get a slick real estate lawyer to do it for you. The lawyer might have a few tricks that he “shouldn’t be telling you”.

More Like This
Ask an advisor one-on-one!

Quick Property Sale

Real Estate, Property Sales, Cash Home Buyers


United Mobile Heating & Cooli...

HVAC Services, Power Equipment Rental, Dehumidification Services


Home Roots Property Management

Property Management, Real Estate, Rental Homes


Coastal Vacation Properties

Property Management, Vacation Rentals, Hospitality


Falcon Property Management

Property Management Services, Real Estate Management, Rental Services