I miss my old bestfriend? :( Need advice?

I really need some advice. Me and this girl were friends for 5 years and we fell out with each other over some game. We were fighting on Facebook and she called me something horrible that she later said she didn't mean (i don't wanna say it) and I told her it was truly over after that, she tried texing me and saying that she's sorry, but I ignored it because I was really mad at the time. This fight actually happened like 1 and a half years ago and I know that sounds crazy, but I always think about her. I keep thinking its to late to save our friendship.
I miss her like crazy and sometimes I cry myself to sleep because I miss her so much.
Ive been thinking of texting her saying how much Im sorry and seeing what she says but I'm to scared in-case she says we still cant be friends, and I don't know how I would be able to handle that. I know i will end up crying and stuff so im not sure what to do.
What would you do in my situation? What should I text her? Please help :(