lead is poisonous if exposed to it over time, the fumes, powder, or touch. Would containing it in plastic eg tupper wear, or something similar to a plastic milk bag remove these potential effects? if not, what would?
The good thing about solid lead metal is that we do not absorb it through our skin. Casting molten lead or machining, filing, sanding, polishing or handling of lead can produce lead powder or dust that can be inhaled or ingested which can cause lead poisoning though. Lead must be kept away from food and food preparation surfaces and if you handle or work with lead you should take precautions not to contaminate food or food prep areas from lead that may cling to skin or clothes. Storing lead in plastic containers is fine but take precautions that these containers will never accidentally be used for food.
A plastic bucket with a tight-fitting lid should do the job ... you want to prevent oxidization from exposing it to the air for too long.