Japanese cell phones

Okie so I am considering a study abroad program so I can go to Japan to study the language. I was looking at japanese cell phone and yes...I want one! I know they won't work here in the states where I live. So I was thinking, if I do go to Japan, I want a Japanese phone so I'll be able to call home and stuff. I was going to buy one off of ebay and there, they don't come with the contracts. I was gonna buy a phone and then rent a sim card that comes with a Japanese cell phone number. I know that gsm networks dont work in japan. Does that sound like the right thing to do? If anyone has any information to share on this, that would be great!

Recent Questions Shopping

well, I know a lot about Japan but nothing about cell phones.. I think it'd just be a pain to get something that wouldn't work... unless you're planning on going to Japan one day... but I'd still wait until I got there or right before I leave.