Global Warming: Good, Bad, Both?

Home More advice Environmental Issues

Climate change is always happening, and it always has mixed results for human civilization. In Britain, the Romans were growing vineyards for wine production as far north as Hadrian's Wall. That seems a bit absurd today, when you consider they can't grow drinkable stuff several hundred miles south of that.

This question is mainly for those who have accepted the overwhelming evidence that global warming is happening, and that the trend is largely the result of human activity. I personally don't believe this can be reversed, and that we will have to deal with the ramifications.

That leads, finally, to my question. What do you think will be the net impact of climate change? There will be some dire consequences, that's for sure. But the Al Gore visions of apocalypse don't tell the whole story. You can read some stuff (which I apparently can't post in the body of the question) about global warming extending the growing season in the northern latitudes in Canada and Russia. It makes sense, when you consider the Medieval Warming Period enabled the Vikings to travel across previously impassable waterways. I've also read that certain species will benefit, like the species of starfish Pisaster ochraceus, which thrives from increased temperature and CO2 exposure in water.

Let me be clear: I'm NOT suggesting that global warming is this great thing and we should pollute away. I'm just trying to see what people really think. Will it be Al Gore-esque doom and gloom? Or will there be unexpected benefits?