When getting a dog, we, of course, are tempted to give our dogs snacks and food from the table. This though can be risky, and an attentive pet owner will want to make sure their pooch is as safe as possible. In here, find what's not safe for your dog.
-Grapes and raisins can cause damage to your dog’s kidneys that cannot be fixed. It can lead to death if not treated quickly.
-As little as 4 grapes or raisins can be poisonous to a small, 20-pound dog. However, the exact toxic dose for a dog at any size hasn’t been determined.
-You can tell your dog has been into something toxic by the following symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, weakness, loss of appetite and decreased urine production.
-These symptoms can start about 24 hours after consumption. However, some dogs may exhibit signs sooner than that.
-Onions can cause anemia in dogs when eaten. This can cause the breaking down of red blood cells and can also cause kidney damage.
-This can also happen with garlic or chives. It is not certain how many onions can be considered poisonous for dogs but the effects built up over time.
-Poisoning can happen with any form of onion; this includes raw, cooked and even dehydrated forms.
-Signs of this form of anemia include pale gums, weakness, rapid heart rate, and lethargy.
-Treatment can include blood transfusions and the administration of oxygen into the body.
-Chocolate includes several chemicals that can cause adverse effects on the heart, kidney, lungs and central nervous systems of dogs.
-The most toxic is pure baking chocolate, but regular milk chocolate requires a lot more to be poisonous.
-A small 20-pound dog can be poisoned by just 2 ounces of baking chocolate but in the same dog, 20 ounces of milk chocolate has the same power.
-Eating mulch made of cacao beans can also harm a dog.
-Signs of trouble include tremors, seizures, excitement, vomiting, diarrhea, hyperthermia, abnormal heart rate, and even coma.
-To treat this, your veterinarian may need to induce vomiting.
-Caffeinated items have about the same amount of toxicity to dogs as chocolate. It can affect the heart, kidneys, lungs and central nervous system.
-Common problem foods with caffeine include caffeine pills, coffee, coffee beans, teas, and chocolate.
-Signs to watch for include hyperactivity, vomiting, restlessness, tremors, increased heart rate, and convulsions.
-Macadamia nuts are extremely poisonous to dogs. While they can cause severe sickness, they are generally not fatal
-The amount needed to be toxic is unknown
However, just a handful of nuts can cause illness in most dogs
-Signs of illness include vomiting, weakness, muscle or joint pain and joint swelling.
-Signs begin showing up 6 to 24 hours after ingestion.
-Most dogs will recover with treatment within 24 to 48 hours; however, some dogs may need to be hospitalized if they become very sick.
-Chewing gum and candy has an artificial sweetener known as Xylitol. This can stimulate the pancreas in dogs and cause it to secrete insulin, which can lower blood sugar. It can also cause liver damage.
-As little as 2 pieces of gum can cause low blood sugar in a 20 pounds dog. A whole pack of gum can cause liver damage in the same dog. Symptoms usually show up within 30 to 60 minutes of ingestions. These symptoms include weakness, collapse, and seizures.
-Your veterinarian will induce vomiting. The dog will need to be treated with a form of sugar to increase blood sugar levels and will need to be monitored for a couple of days.
-Alcoholic drinks have a chemical in them called ethanol, which can cause depression of both the central nervous system and the respiratory system. It is considered highly toxic.
-Even small amounts of ethanol can be toxic to a dog.
-Ethanol is absorbed by the system quickly, so if your dog has any he needs to be seen by a veterinarian quickly.
-Treatment includes fluid therapy and medications.
-Pits and seeds from apples, cherries, peaches, and plums contain the toxin cyanide.
-Signs of this poisoning include vomiting, heavy breathing, apnea, skin irritation, and coma.
In some cases, antidotes can be given. There is also oxygen therapy and fluid therapy that can be given to the ailing dog.
If your dog eats anything that he shouldn’t, you should call your local veterinarian or the closest emergency veterinarian as soon as possible.
You should always have these numbers close to your phone so that you can call in a hurry. It is also a good idea to have the number for the national ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, which is 888-426-4435.
You can call this number and they can help you in the event your dog eats something you think may possibly be poisonous.
Lean meats –as long as the lean meat is cooked thoroughly and doesn’t have any fat or skin, you can give it to your dog. Poultry is a favorite of many dogs.
Fresh fruit –safe fruit includes apples, bananas, oranges, watermelon. Be sure to remove any seeds before giving it to your dog.
Some vegetables –safe veggies your dog can have include corn, green beans, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, and cooked potatoes.
Cooked white rice and pasta –as long as its cooked, white rice and pasta are good for dogs. Make sure it is plain and doesn’t have any sauce or gravy on it.
Peanut butter –a small amount of peanut butter is safe for dogs and