When I water my plants from above (as opposed to underneath directly on the soil) I find large white spots on the petals. Is this normal? Should I avoid it? Is it bad for the plants?
Thanks for any input.
emmymaroon basically said it! but you water collecting on the petals can cause bacteria infections or fungal infections . You dont definately have to water them from underneath but atleast get the water on the soil at the base of the plant rather than spraying it over the plant
Yes, it's bad, Many plants should be water at the dirt level, not from above. Water on the leaves can cause mold, sunburn, rot. Some plants are more sensitive than others, but avoid it if you can.
Plants that HATE being watered from above are African Violets, tomatoes, roses.