Who do you want to be president?? And why??? And what about the vice president??
I want the next president to:
1) stop the war on drugs - they need rehab, and some have jobs - in short, they go from contributing to society & harming themselves, to being a burden on society. The savings from this rehab instead of prison is huge.
2) Tax the rich - sorry, but I never saw or know a single person with a net worth of $5 million or more who complained about the tax situation under Bill Clinton. Change it back to what it was, prior to Bush.
3) Repeal the patriot act, and give me back my freedome from evesdropping.
4) Arrest and incarcerate those who refused to back up the President's email. It needs investigation & the perpetrator brought to justice. If we can't verify the president's actions, we the citizens have lost power.
5) Reduce dependency on foreign oil, raise fuel standards for cars, and improve the environment. We have one planet, we need to take care of it.
6) Re-establish separation of Church & state, remove the bible from the swearing in of the president (it shouldn't even be an option) and remove the "god" bit from the Pledge of Allegiance, as it was originally written.
7) Stop the war in Iraq, 10 billion per month for WHAT?
8) There isn't a candidate from either party that will do the above...so, in protest on the war in Iraq, and because Obama is closer to my personal list than McCain, I'll vote for him, AND complain when he gets elected on every issue he fails to follow through with.
Honestly I don't know much about politics and stuff and I'm not really up on the news, but I do have strong opinions and wants for our country.
-first I disagree with thedude about the seperation from church and state. yes, it's very important that we keep them separate, but there is MUCH MUCH MORE important things to do than change the Pledge of Allegiance. for example...
-much more research done on mental disorders like Bipolar and Depression. they are main causes for drug use, suicide and in strong cases homocide. plus people do not understand them. they don't know how to deal with people who undergo these hardships and they blame the person even though it's not their fault. more rehabiliation centers built focusing just on those two diseases.
- capitol punishment GONE. it's barbaric. I could go on forever about this one, but I'll try to stay on topic.
- why are we avoiding gas prices here? there's many other options and it seems to me that the government is just trying to get as much money out of it as they can before they switch to a different solution. many gas companies PAY inventors not to release their ideas for new solutions. can you believe that?! UGH!!!
-make earth day everyday. (:
Excellent post thedude. I completely agree with all of them. Getting them done will be extremely difficult.
Ending the drug war will not happen anytime in the near future. Although it should.
Obama and congress will repeal the bush tax cuts. I think if elected it will be one of the very first things they do. At least I hope so.
I think will be some easing of the patriot act. But probably no where near what you and I think it should be. Completely repealed.
Unfortunately, no one will ever go to jail over the deleted emails. Because then lots more people would be following them.
There will be progress in reducing oil dependency under Obama. Certainly much more than under McCain.
Sadly we might never see a true separation of church and state in our lifetimes. This is not something Obama is going to take on.
Obama will absolutely get us out of Iraq. He better, or there will be a lot of pissed off people in this country.
thedude, I really do like your answer, mainly because I agree with most of your list, and because you realize Obama, if elected, will probably not accomplish any of it. Much of what you list involves a reversal of the Bush administration's policies, and even Bush did very little of that without the support of Congress, or in some cases, the popular support of the American people.
Anyway, the main jobs of the president are (or should be) the Head of State, and the Commander-in-Chief. I want a president who will restore American credibility with the world, and who will take the advice of military leaders in matters of war, rather than the contract-hungry civilians in his administration.
That's rich amblessed. It seems to you that a person with integrity is anyone who believes the same thing as you do, at least today. It really doesn't matter what they used think. To you it doesn't show a lack of integrity when one opposes tax cuts initially, but once a candidate for president, they ardently support them, solely out of political expedience. But thats ok with you, as long as he agrees with you today. A person of integrity can change their ideological stripes for any reason, as long as the finally end up on your side.
McCain used to have a little integrity. But that is long gone...
Since this is an open ended question I choose Dennis Kucinich. The only Democrat with enough of a background to start impeachment proceedings against President Bush. While the rest of our do-little Democrats in congress lack the backbone to stand up to Bush, Representative Kucinich is trying to collect 1,000,000 signatures to support impeachment. Perhaps if enough Americans support this than congress will act. I signed the petition and I wish him luck with the other 999,999
Uhm ok I know this is hard. But try to think about it for a minute. How is a country that has no leader, has no money, has no weapons (except the ones the americans took in there) and is in complete shambles going to attack anyone, let alone the US? I mean I know it's difficult to actually think about the issues instead of just parroting what Bush say, but stop for 5 seconds and try...
McCain = Integrity?
The last time I checked the definition of integrity did not cover a man that cheated on his crippled wife to marry a younger, richer girlfriend or a man that called his wife a c**t.
If that is McCain's integrity, I want none of it.
I think a good way to get a president is dropping a monkey out of a plane with a parachuee and whos ever hand he grabs first should be prez.. simple as that :)
I want McCain to be President and Palin Vice President because: integrity.
can'tthink - why in the world do you think that Iraq would attack the U.S.?
if they pull the people out of iraq they are most likely to attack us
im republican so want mccain for pres
the dude is, and I quote, "an idiot"
I like that idea ampengychvy88