Late 18th century building. Duchess Barclay bought the house in 1819 after the death of her husband, Barclay de Tolly. The longitudinal wall of the building toward the river was built on the basis of the old town wall, while the other side was built on a new foundation. This is why the house is now askew and is popularly called the Tower of Pisa.
Stands on the site of the original stone bridge of Tartu which was built in 1784 and blown up by the Soviets in WWII. This new bridge is only for pedestrians and allows you to do one of the most loved cultural activities of Tartu, walk over the top of the arch after a big night in the club. Just don't let the cops catch you.
Established in 1632, it's one of the oldest universities in Europe. The main building was built in 1804-1809 according to university architect Johann Wilhelm Krause's plans in classical architecture. It includes the historic lock-up on the attic, Assembly Hall and the Tartu University Art Museum which displays ancient art.
This nondescript building was known as the Gray House and was the headquarters of the Estonian KGB. It tells the story of how the prisoners were treated there, and some stories about the Estonian resistance heroes, the Forest Brothers. The museum is small and does not have a very big sign, so look carefully.
Dug into the side of the hill in 1767 as part of the complex of the bishop’s citadel. It was used as a gunpowder cellar until 1809. Until 1982 it served as a storage room for many different enterprises, and was later developed into a eating place. Today, the building hosts a bar/restaurant of the same name.
The observatory, designed by university architect J.W. Krause, was built at the beginning of the 19th century. Working place of many famous astronomers including Struve; indeed the observatory is a point on the world heritage listed Struve Geodetic Arc spanning from the Arctic Sea to the Black Sea.
Construction of the building began in 1763 as military barracks. Onto its ruins was built the university hospital in 1808, which functioned until 1990. Since 1993, the national court is again in Tartu, which is Estonia’s supreme judiciary court.
One of the first buildings of the re-opened Tartu University which was built in 1803-1805 according to the drawings of university architect J. Krause. Today the visitors are offered an exhibition of the history of medicine with preparates.
In the Annelinn suburb, is a quality budget hotel. All rooms are equipped with Sat-TV and an internet connection. Located just few minutes by car from Tartu Town Hall square, with frequent bus service from right in front of the hotel.
Congregates several creative enterprises and creates therefore a creative atmosphere. The three buildings of the centre were built between 1830 and 1913 and represent different architectural styles: historicism and Art Nouveau.
The salt chamber has two separate treatment rooms. One chamber is for adults and the other is for children. Natural salt treatment has no harmful side effects and it stimulates body's immune and defense mechanisms.
Classicist style structure was built as a town palace in 1790. The building is popularly called Catherine´s House. The legend has it that Empress Catherine II made a short stay there. It is not true, though.
From the 13th century and were dedicated to apostles St. Peter and Paul. Today the choir part houses the Tartu University History Museum, and the towers are reconstructed to sightseeing platforms.
An early classical church built in 1783 with typical Russian classical elements. It´s located on the same place as the St. Mary Magdalene Church of a Dominican cloister founded before 1300.
49 rooms including 2 suites with saunas. Amenities include safe-box, hairdryer, cable TV, mini-bar, phone and complimentary wireless internet. Restaurant serves authentic Estonian food.
A two-story church, designed by architect V. Lunski, with cupolas inspired by the Old Russian church architecture. It was deconsecrated 40 years ago but reconsecrated in summer 2003.
Third week of July, exact dates vary from year to year. Medieval festival featuring fairs, festivities, exhibitions, concerts, dances, merchants and tradesmen.
Small guest house. The lady who runs it speaks a little English but she is delightful and you can communicate without too much hassle. Best to email ahead.
Apartments are located in a historical house on the main square. They offer spacious and clean apartments with all the equipment and privacy needed.
An alternative club with concerts, theater performances, seminars, etc. Recently joined with the bar Möku which now resides on the ground floor.
Built in 1913 in honour of the 300th jubilee of tsarist Russia’s Romanov Dynasty, which is memorialised on the bridge by the dates 1613-1913.
There is a [http://www.selver.ee Selver] (big department store), as well as clothes shop, lots of small boutiques and other small shops.
A Neogothic Lutheran church from 1903, is built on the grounds of the first general Estonian song festival which took place in 1869.
Department store with several floors full of fascinating things to buy. "Kaubamaja" belongs to Kaubamaja consortium.
An outstanding redbrick Finnish National Romanticist style building by the famous Finnish architect Eliel Saarinen.
Loov Gallery sells souvenirs produced by young Estonian artists, ranging from jewelry and accessories to paintings.
Neighborhood where all of the streets are named after soup ingredients. Features charming old wooden houses.
Different pizza and pancake dishes (both as desserts and as main courses), soups, rice dishes, etc.
Legendary meeting place for students and alternative fashion people. Popular among foreigners.
A popular movie theatre. It has two movie screens and first-rate Dolby SR/DTS sound system.
Features a wide range of small boutiques, as well as a big department store Maksimarket.
English speaking, overlooking the Town Square, Excellent kitchen and bathrooms.
14th century church is famous for its thousands of medieval terracotta figures.
English style pub. Offers 40% discounts on any alcoholic beverages after 20:00.
Authentic Asian cuisine, good price soups and meals of the day.
Offers various cruises for up to 30 people along River Emajõgi.
Self-service accommodation in apartments with all comforts.
Located in the ground floor of Tartu Town Hall.
Best rooms go quickly so book ahead.
Tartu is 185 km south-east of Tallinn, the capital of Estonia. The Emajõgi River, which connects the two largest lakes of Estonia, flows for 10 km within the city limits.