This church was the fourth of the 21 missions on El Camino Real. It was established in 1771, predating the Pueblo of Los Angeles by several years. Between 1771 and 1834, more people were baptized at Mission San Gabriel than any other mission. Today, the church and grounds have been restored and contain a small museum, as well as a playhouse originally built for productions of ''The Mission Play''. The first Saturday of each month features special programs. This mission is one of the smaller missions and can be seen in 1 or 2 hours.
This historic 1927 theatre is still used for concerts, plays, and dance performances. The theatre has a working Wurlitzer Theatre Pipe Organ. Tours of the theatre may be arranged by contacting the Managing Director at ext. 227.
This museum contains an eclectic collection of artifacts from the early history of California, ranging from a mammoth tooth to Pio Pico's opera glasses to a blacksmith shop.