Kuusistonlahti is a Natura 2000 special protection area and a great place to observe nesting and resting birds. There is also a birdwatching tower.
An alternative to the city hotels, Kavalto Farm offers bed and breakfast in Finnish countryside
Located in the town centre, Hotel Kivitasku offers also single and triple rooms.
Ruins of a castle from 14th century. Located nearby is Kuusisto manor from 1738.
The originally rural Kaarina now has 32,000 inhabitants and regards itself a town since 1993. Many of the inhabitants work in Turku. Though officially monolingual, Kaarina has a growing Swedish minority of about 5 %, with its own comprehensive school.
The former main village of Kaarina is part of Turku. The present Kaarina has a few distinct centres.
The municipality is named after the Katariina church, named after Catherine of Alexandria (Saint Catherine of the Wheel). The former main village, by the church, is Nummi. These are since 1939 part of Turku, like some other former parts of Kaarina. On the other hand Kuusisto was annexed to Kaarina 1946, Piikkiö 2009. Littoinen was the biggest settlement in the 1960s, with some industry and a train station (on the Turku–Helsinki railway, now out of use). The modern centre is where the road to the archipelago (Saaristotie, Skärgårdsvägen) used to start, by the then main road to Helsinki.
The remains of a 12th century church were found in Ravattula in 2013. This is the oldest known church in Finland. There is an exhibition about the findings in Luostarinvälikatu near Turku Old Great Square (2015). The Kaarina parish is mentioned 1309 and the wooden predecessor of the Katariina church was taken into use in 1351.