Arguably the most awe-inspiring site in Armenia is this 11th century monastery, much of which is carved out of the solid stone of the mountain it abuts. Once housing (and still named after) the lance that pierced Jesus' side, it is sited at the end of a canyon, surrounded by steep rock mountains, with fortified walls, holy springs, an upper chamber with unparalleled acoustics and many intricate khachkars. Monastery of Geghard together with the Upper Azat Valley is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
The enclosed area of the temple complex at Garni is comprised of the main gate and fortification walls of the medieval era, foundational walls of a two-storey royal summer palace built by the ancient Urartians in the 8th century BC, a bath house, the circular foundations of a church built in AD 897, a cemetery and the Hellenistic temple built in the 1st century BC. The temple is one of Armenia's prized monuments and is a must see.
11th to 13th century walled monastery. :Just before entering through the wall surrounding the Havuts Tar monastery, a trail leads to the right up a hill and through a slightly wooded area. At the end of this trail not too far away, are '''the ruins of a small chapel with two khachkars''' nearby to the left and one to the right.
It has restaurant, table tennis, billiard, open air swimming pool. Rooms are quite big and richly decorated. Overall, hotel seems to have a good price-quality ratio comparing to other options in the area. Although to get to nearest sights it will be necessary to get a car/taxi as there is not much to do in Goght village itself.
A medieval Armenian fortress with large sections of walls still intact, first mentioned in the 9th-10th centuries. Towers at the northeastern side are 8 to 10 meters tall. Within the fortress are the ruins of a church and other structures.
This portion of the Garni Gorge is typically referred to as the "Symphony of the Stones". All along the sides of the gorge are vertical cliff walls of well preserved basalt columns. It is well worth the walk
Also known as '''Pok'r''' meaning ''little'', the church of Mashtots Hayrapet is a hidden gem in Garni. It was built in the 12th century and features numerous intricate carvings upon its exterior façades.
The monastery of Aghjots Vank contains the church of S. Poghos Petros (S. Paul and Peter) of 1270, an adjoining gavit of the 13th c., the church of S. Stepanos, and numerous khachkars.
crossing the Azat River. This is the starting point of the trail leading to Havuts Tar Monastery, which is about 5-6 km away from the bridge.
Average rooms, even a bit rundown, But the views from the windows/balcony makes you forget about all disadvantages - it's simply stunning.
Upscale option It has a bar and a restaurant with Armenian and Lebanese cuisines. Table tennis, massage, picnic zone, barbecue places.
It's actually a fish farm which has adjacent restaurant. They prepare mainly grilled fish, some side vegetables can be served as well.
It has eight rooms overlooking a garden, open air swimming pool, internet, car-park, restaurant (French and Armenian cuisine).
B&B run by a Dutch couple, offering an outdoor pool, decent rooms with new furniture. Tents and campers are also welcomed.
Armenian cuisine with excellent views over the gorge and Garni temple. Sometimes it gets very busy with the tourists.
Simplistic hostel with smallish rooms, but the price is the lowest in the area.
Private villa for rent. You get entire two floor house.
Garni is rich in history. The area was fist occupied in the 3rd millennium BC along easily defensible terrain at one of the bends of the Azat River. In the 8th century BC the area was conquered by the Urartian King Argishti I. The fortification at Garni was erected probably sometime in the 3rd century BC as a summer residence for the Armenian Orontid and Artaxiad royal dynasties. Later around the 1st century BC the fortress of Garni became the last refuge of King Mithridates of Armenia, where he and his family were assassinated by his son in law and nephew Rhadamistus. The fortress was eventually sacked in 1386 by Timur Lenk. In 1679 an earthquake devastated the area destroying the temple. Much of the population today descends from people settled in the population exchange of 1829–1830, following the Treaty of Turkmenchay between Russia and Persia.