There are some archeological ruins of ancient Teate Marrucinorum, including a theatre, an amphitheatre, thermae and a temple (which was used as a church with the name of SS. Pietro e Paolo). However people are rarely allowed to see also the interior spaces of these monuments.
The rooms of the museum are dedicated to: Burial cults in pre-Roman Abruzzo / Italic sculpture / The Capestrano Warrior / The Pansa collection / The Sanctuary of Hercules Curinus at Sulmona / The Numismatic collection / Roman Iconography in Abruzzo.
The first part of this building was made in the 16th century, but it was also restored in the last years of the 18th century by De Mayo, a powerful aristocratic family. The Carichieti Foundation bought this palace and founded an art museum.
The cathedral is dedicated to Saint Justin of Chieti (died 540). Bishop Atto I consecrated it in 1069, but its appearance has changed through the centuries. In the crypt there are the relics of Saint Justin.
At Chieti Alta there are ancient Roman cisterns and other underground spaces. This mysterious heritage was partly explored by Speleoclub, a no-profit organization. In some occasions they organize visits.
Franciscans founded this church in 1239. It is considered the second most important one after the cathedral. At the moment people cannot visit it due to damage from the 2009 L'Aquila earthquake.
From historical documented sources, the origins of the procession in its current form date back to the 16th century. It is organized by the Mount of the Dead Brotherhood.
This baroque church was built in the 17th century thanks to Archbishop Sauli. In the oratory there is the Diocese Theatine Museum and religious artefacts are exposed.
The 16th century Martinetti-Bianchi Palace is the home of an art museum, which takes its name from the sculptor Costantino Barbella (Chieti, 1852-1925).
It became the civic park when Baron Frigerj sold his mansion to Chieti in 1864. The neoclassical Villa Frigerj is now the home of the homonymous museum.
The church dedicated to Saint Agustin was founded in 1300, almost completely destroyed by a fire in 1562 and totally rebuilt in the 18th century.
The local university manages a museum at the former building of the National Recreational Club, an example of fascist architecture.
The museum is located in an important archaeological site, where the ruins of a Roman amphitheatre were found.
Chieti is the capital of the Province of Chieti. The town lies on a crest along the Pescara River a few kilometers away from the Adriatic Sea, with the Maiella and Gran Sasso mountains in the background. It has a fine Romanesque cathedral (11th cent.), a 14th-century tower, and a university. The order of the Theatine Brothers (founded 1524) takes its name from the ancient Roman town. The town is divided into two parts: Chieti Alta (that means “Upper Chieti”) and Chieti Scalo. Chieti Alta is the old hill town, while in Chieti Scalo, there are business activities, factories (items manufactured locally include textiles, clothing, fabricated metals, and construction materials), a station and the local university. In addition there also interesting little rural frazioni, such as Brecciarola.